That's a fairly broad statement which can be applied to just about every society/tribe/individual on this earth. Isn't the occupation of Iraq retribution for 9/11? Haven't the Christian and Islam religions been feuding for centuries? What would you do if your neighbour attacked you? Sure the whole Iraq thing has been a disaster from the start, partly due to lack of understanding on behalf of the strategists and partly due to the lack of help from other powerful nations(the question here being what, if anything, was their plan to move Iraq forward? More sanctions, UN resolutions that state Saddam is a very naughty boy. It's all very nice of them to now snigger at the mess but they where quite happy to let the Iraqy people rot under UN imposed sanctions that only hurt the little people). However the good news is that it is only a minority of fundamentalist that want to create a Islamic state, with the majority of Iraqies just wanting to live their lives in relative peace(and the problem being they may well choose an Islamic state just to get that relative peace). This leads me to another one of the major stuff ups, why wheren't the people of Iraq asked to vote on what sort of future they want. There was an arrogant assumption made that the Iraq people want a US/western style democracy, sure they may well do but without a clear mandate from the Iraq people it is seen as western arrogance to impose what we think they should have in the way of a government.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner Fehlauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: New Euro terror alerts

As for the middle East - anyone who has spent any time in the region (I was
there for almost 3 years) should have learned that their eternal feuds
always require retribution, and that westerners (crusading infidels in their
eyes) will always be the common enemy.  We are not the first outsiders to
find that out the hard way, and probably won't be the last.  Its a shame
that the Wolfowitz/Cheney/Rumsfeld group didn't seem to know at least that
much about the history of the region - or worse yet, think that they could
overcome it with minimal force. And even more tragic is that we've lost so many fine young men and women there, and tens of thousands maimed for life.
Not to mention the untold thousands killed as "collateral damage".

Werner