You were lucky - in my case, the good folks at Glen Burnie would NOT accept the bill of sale from Academy Ford in Laurel, and went by their "blue book". What really griped me was the clod who "checked" the front shoe brakes by removing the drums, just dropping the bearing cone in the dirt. Needless to say, I never went near that place again!

Werner

To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] $250 1985 300SD

Yep, that we do, but if you have a bill of sale they will go with that (or $500, whatever is lower) for tax value. Being held up depends upon the inspector. Usually they do try on headlamp aim, but I have the older "hoppy" garage type aimers-- good for anything with the three glass nubs on the lens...

The inspectors are licensed by the state and if they do anything too hinky you can go to the MSP on them...

BTW last time I got a car inspected it was at a stealership (deliberately) and they found that the sway bar bushings were shot as was the engine mounts. Given the car developed a nasty vibe to it when in gear with the brakes on (right on the way to the inspection, augh!) I knew about the mounts. I didn't know that the bushings got bad (I thought all 210 front ends rattled a bit on low speed bumpy roads)... Anyhow, the sway bar links practically fell apart when I disassembled things! ... Oh yeah, they mentioned the rear brakes would pass but only had about 3kmi left on them.. I replaced them for good measure.

Time before that was at a local gas station, and I saw a note for headlamp aim (that was scratched out!) and that the high-beam indicator was not working. Sure enough the thing had wiggled out of the socket. I popped it back in and the guy looked and passed it on the spot. I guess I am pretty lucky.

-j