I just did the chain and top guide rail my 190E, which is a single row chain. Total cost of parts was AU$85 and that is for a quality Iwis chain. Took an afternoon to do but does require some experience. It is recommended to use a temporary link to ensure the timing is correct before installing the permenant link, although on the M102 it is possible to correct the timing by removing the camshaft sproket.
Anyway the top of my radiator just busted so I got that to fix up.

----- Original Message ----- From: "RICHARD FIne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:38 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Timing chain and related parts on 1987 300D turbo....

Hello,
I posted this question some time ago, but the settings on my computer were such that I could get the heading of the answers/questions, but not the contents of the message.. it's fixed now, so I will try again.

Is the changing of the timing chain for the the 1987 300D the same as the earlier model (1980 thru 1985) in that all is needed is to pull the new chain thru via the old chain, and maybe, if needed, change the tensioner? At how many miles is recommended (at 200,000?)

I had my car in the shop (local dealer) to have the steering gearbox replaced, and I asked about changing the timing gear. I have about 275,000 miles and I told them I needed an estimate to change the chain. The manager looked at me funny, and said, We don't change the chain unless it needs it, your car does not display the signs of needing the chain replaced. I replied that I rather have it changed than to wait and have it break and ruin the engine. He later gave me an estimate, which included changing the gears, and all related parts. Is this necessary with the 87 300D? All together, with labor, it was like $1,600.00 to change the timing chain... which I thought was very excessive.
What is recommended with the 1987 300D engine?

Thanks,

Rick