In a message dated 3/8/2007 4:59:34 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My  temperature gaugee (which is the combo fuel gauge, and lube oil
pressure  gauge) is very speratic flipping around alot.  I changed this whole

gauge unit out, same thing with the replacement,
Temp gauge  bounces.
A) next step (????) change out sensor at engine. ??? I am going to  try
this... is this the forward sensor or the after sensor on the left  side of
engine block.  Has any one done this job is it in a "thermo  well" or when I
pull it does the sensor sit in the coolant and will  leak.  Any type of
sealant when I screw it back in  please

Jimc answered your questions.  Before you spend any money, I would  like to
reinforce making sure the connections are good.  MB has a history  of poor
contact due to oxidation.  Unplugging and replugging the sensor  connection a
couple times will probably fix your problem.  On my 79 the  sensor wiring
passes
through the connector on the glow plug relay and this is  absolutely another
connector that should be exercised!   you will have  to unbolt the glow plug
relay from the fender to do this I think.  Watch  your gauge stabilize after
doing this..

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles