From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 08 March 2007 01:58 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Cooling System Technical Help 1979 240D

1.  My temperature gaugee (which is the combo fuel gauge, and lube oil
pressure gauge) is very speratic flipping around alot.  I changed this
whole
gauge unit out, same thing with the replacement,
Temp gauge bounces.
A) next step (????) change out sensor at engine. ??? I am going to try
this... is this the forward sensor or the after sensor on the left side
of
engine block.  Has any one done this job is it in a "thermo well" or
when I
pull it does the sensor sit in the coolant and will leak.  Any type of
sealant when I screw it back in please

B) Can start car and run from a cold start for 400 miles not problem.
If
car comes to idle or if leave parked and shut off for a few minutes, and

reastart and get on highway
can only sometime experience over heating.

~~ If it is an air issue, can can air pocket in the thermostate housing
and
cause it to "close" stop flow to radiator becuase the air is cooler than
the
coolant??

~~Belts are tight to water pump, and when at highway speed not over
heating
is experienced if started from cold

~~ could a small leak in the heater core (no steam or fog or liquid
noticed
in car) cause the build up of air in system??

Please help thanks

Regards Tom Scordato
1979 240D 115K miles