They are jarring. But that's part of why they work well. It tends to get
people's attention more.

There's such a thing as too much attention.  A brake light should
not require you to yank your eye right to it, I prefer seeing it
by peripheral vision, so I can still look out for other things.

If more attention-getting was always better, why not have bright
Xenon strobe brake lights?  LookAtMe-LookAtMe-LookAtMe-LookAtMe...
On the front too, even better than DRL's.

But I also hate fog lights on clear nights, daytime running lights,
and high-mount center brake lights.  For much the same reasons.

-- Jim