I took mine to the Jiffy Lube to have them flushed.  Back then they did
filters with the flush as part of the service.  Apparently now they charge
like an extra $40 to change the filter too.
I kinda think the tranny cooler is part of the radiator, like just a bottom
or side chamber.

MBZ content:  My 83' 300D CLUNKS into pretty much every gear.  I assume it's
a lack of vacuum.  It's done it since i've had it, but I hear that is the
way they last the longest.  I've gotten used to it, but it throws people off
who haven't ridden with me.  (:

Levi

On 3/12/07, Alex Chamberlain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 3/12/07, Levi Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd definitely do the tranny flush/filter change.  That's fixed any of 3
> slight issues I've had with both of our 97' Sube tranny's.  Though none
of
> those were really slipping.  Twice mine would just drop out of a gear
for
> second if I held it to the floor, but letting up on the gas dropped it
> back
> in.

Thanks Levi.  Sometimes the '98 Legacy in question does that "drop out of
gear" thing, sometimes more of a slip-and-flare like a worn M-B auto, and
sometimes when cold it shifts hard and late---sort of "step on the gas,
wait, then WHAM!"

Did you do the flush and filter change yourself?  I've "changed" what I
could on the Legacy twice with the drain plug on the pan, but I'm well
aware
that that method doesn't get anywhere near all the fluid.  I'd like to
change it all by the method of disconnecting the input line to the
transmission cooler and running the engine while pouring fresh fluid in
the
top, but I have two problems: can't find the cooler (is it inside one of
the
front fenders?) and can't get the tranny pan off to change the filter at
the
same time (the factory used something like RTV instead of a real gasket
and
it might as well be welded shut for all the luck I've had breaking the
seal).

(Mercedes content:  Valvoline "High Mileage" ATF [in a bright red bottle]
seemed to help the Subaru shift better for a little while, then the
symptoms
returned.  Anyone tried this stuff in an older M-B transmission, or should
just stick to Mobil 1?  Does the Lucas magic transmission additive worth
trying?  [Some people swear by it.]  My 300D goes "CLUNK!" into reverse
and
occasionally on the 1-2 shift at light throttle, but otherwise shifts
perfectly---crisp but not harsh.)

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper