-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 9:17 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Wood Splitters

> Elm has interlocking grain and doesn't split worth diddly -- will take
> huge power.  Oak, maple, poplar, etc will split easily without much
> need for umph except around knots.

Around here it's pine, with the occasional treat of fir!
Cycle time is an issue when you're splitting 10 cords/year
for your own purposes.  We're getting the rounds free from
a local tree service.

The nice ones on-line were something like $3-4k, way out
of my budget.  I've been looking for a decent used one for
years.  Pretty thin on the ground.

-- Jim