Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:29:45 -0700
From: Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: 12v lighting
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

> ACK! Incandescent...
> How much light do you think I can get off an incandescent bulb for
2w?
> Thats the whole point of the LED bulb, lighting using only a 5w solar
> panel...

Before I did much more I'd really want to try out the proposed
light source to see if it was really suitable for reading.  The
incandescents we use in the camper are very satisfactory.  Then
there is also duty cycle, how much reading versus recharging time
do you expect?  If the stay is not indefinite you can even afford
to run at a bit of a loss.

The last time I looked fluorescent lamps were still king of the
lumen/watt rating.  That's been awhile now.  But there are some
very interesting CF lamps in the surplus market that come from
laptop screen backlights.  Have to factor in the inverter's
efficiency though.

A LED doesn't eat 12V, so you have to look at how you're planning
to power it.  Burning it in a simple resistor would mean that you'd
only get 1/4 the battery life you should.  Need a PWM feed to keep
it efficient.

Incandescent offers the advantages of extreme simplicity and a
satisfactorily wide illumination pattern, but at an efficiency
cost.  If you're stuck with a 2W bulb you're talking about one
of the dashboard lights.  That still might be OK, you'd have to
try it out, and you'd definitely want a good reflector head.

-- Jim

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Apr 09 20:55:41 2007