Alrighty here is a topic to mull over...

I have a 79 300TD that I thought I would keep forever but recent
experience has shown that my interest have drifted to other things...
I am thinking of selling it but wanted to get some feedback from the
peanut gallery concerning value.

The good:
 - 1979 300TD non-turbo
 - no structural damage or rust, body is solid
 - transmission shifts correctly
 - good vacuum (locks work correctly)
 - Alloys with correct benz tires
 - 290K miles
 - runs like a champ!  Seriously it is really strong. (probably not the
original motor)
 - Good rear struts/hydropneumatic system, oil & filter are fresh
 - front balljoints replaced
 - upper control arms will be replaced
 - rear subframe bushing will be replaced
 - Climate control replaced with manual controls from 240D

The bad:
 - 79 == no turbo and no sunroof!
 - paint is not bad, but it is a respray of the factory color and has a
few blemishes.  No peeling or systemic failure, just some small bubbles
here and there.
 - windshield area *had* leaks, they are fixed now but not before it
swamped the interior and ruined the carpet.  Floorboards have been
scraped clean, carpet replaced with home-fitted stuff from Home Depot.
Actually it looks pretty good, I found a salt&pepper gray that looks
very German.
 - Rear spare tire/tool area still leaks
 - AC does not work and would require a new compressor, system flush,
and some spirited tinkering to integrate with the 240D climate
controls.

basically this car is showing its age but it is still solid and with a
good motor and rebuilt suspension it has a lot of miles left in it.
Think of it less a show car and more of a candidate for the
"million-mile taxi" award.  With some enthusiasm this could be a
"restoration candidate" but there are definately nicer wagons out
there.

Anyone want to offer an opinion on what it is worth?  I am in the
Pacific NW.

  -Zach