> <<I don't know the answer to your question, but I asked my mechanic once
> about the 4Matic (he had a TD with 4Matic for sale, don't remember
> what year it was) and his answer was basically this: "Like most
> Mercedes systems, they work well if they are maintained.  They don't
> tolerate neglect very well.">>

I'd say that also if I was trying to bail out of one these money pits. I know
a local guy who used to own a very pretty 124 4-matic wagon as a business car
and he finally gave up and bought a VW diesel (Jetta, something?) and he was
one of many on the other MB lists who had replaced transfer cases because of
fluid swaps between the transmissions and transfer cases. It's seal failure and
"maintenance" is not the cause but just a bad design. MB gave up on this
design years ago and they have a new design (again) on the '07/'08 cars.

RLE

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.