Actually Phillip, the exact opposite is true with diesel engines and manual transmissions. Most failures I have encountered occured due to very high temperatures generated by large amounts of torque running in high gears. There is MUCH more stress on the input and mainshaft bearings of a manual tranny under full torque in a higher gear. The lower the gear the better for the tranny but the worse for everything behind the tranny.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fmiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Anybody ever swap a 5-speed into 123 wagon?

It seems than at Thu, 24 May 2007 11:10:51 -0400, Allan wrote:

I recall a statement on this list that Mercedes never paired a
turbodiesel motor with a manual transmission, at least not in the era
we're discussing.

In the USA, I know that's true - but I recall hearing that in
Europe a turbo/manual combination was available.

People have put manual transmissions in W123 turbodiesels, but the
torque of the motor is more than the transmissions were designed to
handle, and they tend to break in a relatively short time.

The biggest danger in over-torque is in low gear. The input
torque is multiplied by the gear ratio resulting in _lots_ of
torque at the output.

The hot-rod big trucks will put 1000+ hp/2500+ lb-ft engines in
front of transmission spec'ed for 1800 lb-ft. The transmission
survives because the _driver_ is smart enough to avoid having
the engine develop maximum power in the lower gears. Once the
transmission is in high range the driver can actually use the
engine power that's available.

My I-have-no-real-info-but-I'm-going-to-guess-anyway opinion is
that the same would be true for our cars.

--                  Philip