Is this the reason that automatic tranny cars with overdrive have the
overdrive-off button? (besides for towing, etc.)

Because driving around in too high a gear puts undue stress on the
transmission, yes? I often think of the example of riding a bicycle in too
high a gear for your speed. This brings awareness of the improper gearing in
the form of straining and pain.

Too bad we don't have pain gauges on cars. Then I could point to it and say
to my wife "SEE?"

Brian