As much as I love Hylomar and hate RTV, if there's a possibility of some larger gaps remaining, I'd go with the RTV. Hylomar fills imperfections perfectly, but it's not intended to fill gaps.

--------Robert

OK Don wrote:
$150 of wleding and de-warping later, I'm about to install the
repaired oil pan on the 300SDL. (I'll post photos later). I had to
clean off a LOT of black RTV sealant - no fun. The machine shop
thought they got the pan "pretty flat - the bolts should pull it up
the rest of the way".

So, I think I need to use a sealant - the question is, black RTV or Hylomar???