Plain water cools better (that is, it transfers heat from the engine to the air
better) so long as it is liquid.  However, the temperature of the head is above
the boiling point of water quite often in the summer, so the water boils and
steam transfers MUCH less heat than water -- roasted head.

The glycol raises the boiling point considerably, so does the 20 psi pressure
capacity of the cooling system, allowing the coolant to stay liquid and do it's
job properly.  Plain water will also permit electrolytic corrosion of the
aluminum parts, and with no protection, it doesn't take long for it to eat
large holes in aluminum parts.

Peter