I'll add to that, TIG can do amazing things, but requires a greater degree of artistic skill and coordination to operate, MIG is darn near idiot proof.
I've got the MIG, it even makes my welds look pretty  :-)
I used to have gas and stick weld setups, but didn't use them much . The mig setup gets used all the time. Easy to setup in a hurry for quick fixes.

Hobart had one of their demonstration trucks out at the local Tractor Supply one day letting folks try them out. Those guys are worse than bunch of drug dealers. Within 3 weeks I had one.

----------Robert

Jim Cathey wrote:
OK, for those of us who are ignorant, what's the difference [TIG/MIG].

MIG is just an automated version of your basic stick welder.  It
feeds wire from a roll, either flux-core without shielding gas, or
plain wire with shielding gas.  Otherwise it's a lot like stick
welding, the arc is drawn between a consumable electrode and the
work.  TIG uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to draw an
arc to the work.  Like gas welding/brazing, you feed in filler rod.

-- Jim