need to get a few things straight; firstly, running Veg Oil and BioD isn't the same thing. (i've yet to see any pump selling Veg Oil for road use,...) as for appeal; for starters, fuel made from what would otherwise be a waste product that already served some purpose and was originally made from a product that was domestically grown seems like a better plan to me than using fuel made from a non-renewable foreign resource that has to be obtained with the help/threat of military intervention,... (the fuel i'm currently using is made from oil that was used for making potato chips.) energy-wise; while BioD does typically provide slightly less power in *most* (not all) vehicles, it's hard to measure, and almost unnoticeable in actual use. pollution; BioD is generally credited as being *less* (not more) polluting than petro-fuels in all categories (with the possible exception of NOx, depending on fuel source, engine tuning, etc.). nothings perfect, but it's still the best non-petro-sourced fuel i'm aware of being available. screwing up your injection system? with a fuel that provides *better* lubricity than any available petro-based fuel? don't see how that's going to happen. leaks; balderdash; he higher solvency of BioD will clean the sludge that's been clogging up the leaks your old MBZ might already have, so it's likely that the leaks you already have he have will become more apparent shortly after the initial use of BioD... but wouldn't you rather find the leaks sooner than later, anyway? i watch the fuel system on our '85 the same way i would watch the fuel system on any 20+ year-old vehicle, and have yet to be able to detect any signs of any need to change anything, but i've only got about 3.5 years and 40K+ miles on B100 so far.

BioD's not perfect, but it's probably the best step we can make in the immediate future. i'm looking forward to seeing where we go with the advent of fuels made from sources that provide better yields and energy content; algae is looking very promising at the moment.

cheers!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<<I don't really "get" the bio-fuel mania. There is of course some initial politically correct "green" appeal to the idea, but my guess is that veg. oil has less energy per volume unit than diesel #2, so you will get worse mileage, use more fuel, pollute more, etc. as well as chance screwing up your injection system.>>

Me neither. The owner of my card-op gas station told me last week that he sells twice as much bio-diesel as the regular stuff and at a premium price, needless to say. And my "personal" MB Tech at the dealer told me that they have sealed up many a leak on old diesels after switching to bio.

RLE