$2K? did you already budget separately for dressing to ride?

while you can do it for cheaper if you're careful, proper riding gear could easily cost you that much, or even more. "proper riding gear" = stuff you actually want to have on when (not *if*) you fall off, not the bottle-cap helmets and bar-fight costumes so many Hardly riders seem to be fond of... and don't think "i'll get 'X' now and the rest of the stuff later"; you're *most* likely to have an incident shortly after just starting or getting back onto a moto.

note; don't skimp on boots! while the consequences of not having a helmet should be obvious to anyone with a head worth protecting (wanna' relearn the alphabet *if* you live?), feet are statistically the most likely part of the body to be injured. not being able to walk can put a serious crimp in your style.

cheers!

LWB250 wrote:
Yeah, I'm in the market and trying to get an idea of
what to look for.

I finish my endorsement class this weekend, and
ideally I would like to find something decently priced
in the 500cc - 750cc range for a starter bike.

I'm aghast at the prices commanded by older bikes,
even things as old as the 1980s, that bring thousands
of dollars - almost what they cost when they were new.

I've got an acquaintance at work that has a 1994
Yamaha Virago 1100 with around 46k on it.  He's the
second owner (I know the original owner as well) and
has taken good care of it.  He seems to think it's
worth $2k, but in the same breath he tells me he's
gotten no takers at that price.  I would add that he
has a GoldWing in the garage, too, but for some reason
he's not terribly motivated to sell the Yamaha.  It
might be because the GW is i pieces, or so I've heard.
 I would probably offer him $1700 and go to $1800,
max.

I'm going to finish up my endorsement class this
weekend and then pay him a visit on Wednesday next
week to look over the Yamaha in more detail and take
it for a test ride.  I'm not keen about starting back
on two wheels with such a big bike, but I'm not having
a lot of luck finding anything smaller and decent in
the area for under $2k.

Dan

Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search