> This is why they are banned -- minor rear-ender turns into a window
> removing blast.

But that is, of course, not why a consortium of industries
pushed for the ban.  FUD is alive and well in our legislative
arena.  I do not believe that there is a particularly high risk
associated with an HC refrigerant.  As has been proven, R12
systems were actually quite flammable, and let us not discount
experiences with propane-powered vehicles, and highly-pressurized
gasoline systems.  (FI systems.)  Propane et al. are not even
particularly flammable except in a rather narrow range of
fuel/air ratios.  Unlike gasoline.

R12 was safer, but now we can't use it.

I use HC myself.  It works great, is inexpensive, and harmless
to the environment.

-- Jim