Okay, appreciate the answers. After driving around for a couple hours
and pulling back into my driveway, there is a lot less tapping.

I agree - I should change out the oil. The seller says he had it
changed with Castrol 15W 50. There is a Master Lube sticker in the
windshield the corroborates his claim of having it changed, and a
receipt that says "customer oil discount".

Despite the cheapskate in me, yes, I should change the oil soon.

I guess the question that remains is: those of you who have 190Ds, how
long does it take for your oil gauge to respond, and how long to reach
the 3 bar mark? Not a crucial question, maybe, but I would like to
know.

Brian
87 190D