You need a notarized statement from the leinholder stating the lein has been
satisfied.  Otherwise, it's doubtful the title will transfer.   if for some
reason it does transfer, the title holder will own 1st claim to car & you
could end up being on the hook for the lein -

Naturally this kind of situation hapens all the time - someone owes the
finance co the balance of the loan but wants to sell before paying the loan
off.   During tradins with dealers involved they usually pay off the loan,
add it to the financing of the car you're buying and it's a transparent
operation.

When a private buyer wants the car things get more difficult as the seller
should use the funds to pay off the lein.  The best way to do this IMHO, if
to ask the leinholder to attend the title transfer, he would then collect
his lein and sign-off on the title, then the seller gets whatever is left
over and you get the car.

Good luck  --

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
Porsche Road Test http://members.rennlist.com/roadtest/
.