I'm sure these transactions happen daily as you've
described.  But I think at the very minimum I would
want a release from the lienholder before I would
complete the transaction, and even then I'm not sure I
want to take the chance.  It is just too much of a
hassle trying to straighten things out from 1000 miles
away if things don't go smoothly .  Its bad enough to
go through the hassles if you are local but from long
distance I don't think so.  I'm hoping the seller can
figure out a way to pay it off and get the title 1st
since we are talking less than $5K it hopefully won't
be too much of a stretch.  I trust the seller but I
don't want any long distance problems.

Thanks
Eric

--- LarryT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You need a notarized statement from the leinholder
> stating the lein has been
> satisfied.  Otherwise, it's doubtful the title will
> transfer.   if for some
> reason it does transfer, the title holder will own
> 1st claim to car & you
> could end up being on the hook for the lein -
>
> Naturally this kind of situation hapens all the time
> - someone owes the
> finance co the balance of the loan but wants to sell
> before paying the loan
> off.   During tradins with dealers involved they
> usually pay off the loan,
> add it to the financing of the car you're buying and
> it's a transparent
> operation.
>
> When a private buyer wants the car things get more
> difficult as the seller
> should use the funds to pay off the lein.  The best
> way to do this IMHO, if
> to ask the leinholder to attend the title transfer,
> he would then collect
> his lein and sign-off on the title, then the seller
> gets whatever is left
> over and you get the car.
>
> Good luck  --
>
> Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
> www.youroil.net for Oil Analysis and Weber Parts
> Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
> PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
> Weber Carb Info
> http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
> Porsche Road Test
> http://members.rennlist.com/roadtest/
> .

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware
protection.