I'm trying to get the service records from the PO, if his sister who was
cleaning out the parents' house has not thrown them out -- anyway, the
radiator looks to be newish, and the rest of the car was very well
maintained, and it does not run hot (and it is HOT here), so maybe it is
just some way to get the fan to run if that sensor was bad (and it
appears if it is, it would necessitate opening the system to change it
as it is stuck right up there in the flow path).

I might ponder it more, does not appear to cause any problems.

Thanks for the info.

--R