<< BillR wrote- I have been playing with the idea of getting a Z3.  How has
it been to
own?>>

Bill:
I have a 2.8 liter Roadster with a five speed, and it is a circus to drive.
I have owned it since late October, and put about 10k miles on it, so far.
I garaged it about 3 months, last winter.

I wanted some type of sports car and found Z3 to be the most cost effective
when compared to Boxter and Honda S2000, and MB SLC (used cars about 5 to 10
years old).  Performace of a six cylinder Z3 is very comparable to
those cars I compared it with.  The real excitement is in its acceleration.
It has a torque curve shaped like the one for my 606 diesel (Z3 has a much
higher power to weight ratio).  It can pin you back against the seat anytime
you step on the gas above 2500 rpm.  And of course it handles ... like a
BMW.

The first week I had it it, it threw a water pump bearing and damaged some
cooling system stuff.  After towing it home, I fixed it in a few hours with
$100 in parts for some place called Buy Euro Parts.com.  Since then, I've
had only a few and minor things to fix.  I've driven Merecedes for 23 years,
and I know them well.  I've only driven this Z3 for about 8 months. So the
jury is still out if you're asking if I would recommend one.  However, my
student son has had an '89 E30 (325iC) for about 4-5 years.  And we've had
very good luck with that car.  I guess that is why, as an MB afficionado, I
still defend BMW.

Cheers,
Ned K