Bill:
I don't think there is much difference between a Z3 and a Miata in terms of
room for getting (climbing) in and out.  If you spot a Z3 for sale, you
might stop and try climbing into it to see for yourself.   The roadster I
remember being particularly difficult to contort my middle aged body into is
the S2000.

Incidently, I considered a Miata and believe it too would be a good choice.
Miata is smaller than a Z3 (or Boxter, SLC, S2000 etc), and IMHO it handles
the best - like a go cart.  And I expect it requires less repair than any of
the German choices.  But for my purposes, a Miata is too much like the MG's
and Triumphs I fooled around with in my youth, when I wished I could afford
a Jag E-type or a Healy 3000.  My Z3 is more like those bigger, more
powerful roadsters. YMMV.

Ned K