Jim Cathey wrote:
>> I have R12 BTW.  Do any of the aftermarket substitutes work with
>> safety?
>
> I believe so, yes.  Others will disagree, particularly those with
> a vested interest in maintaining an effective monopoly on AC servicing.

The substitutes will work, but they have advantages and disadvantages.
You can't add a substitute to existing R12... have to vacuum it all out
and replace with the substitute.  They are usually blends, which means
if you do have a leak you have to vacuum out and start over (except for
Jim C. who blends his on the fly!).  The blends are also usually
flammable, which some people use as a negative point.  IIRC, either R134
or R12 is flammable anyway so it doesn't really much matter.  The blends
also stop working above a certain ambient temperature (~100)... so if it
is really toasty where you live they won't work.  The replacements *are*
cheaper than 12 though...

Just get your EPA609 certification ($15, online, open book test) and get
two or three cans on ebay for about $15 a can.  Really not all that more
expensive than R134.

I have no vested interest in maintaining an AC servicing monopoly...  I
just live in the south and like cold A/C!!

John