Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:53:24 -0700
From: "Zoltan Finks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Loss of power, shuddering upon cold takeoff (manual
 tranny)
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Hmm. Yes, the valves were adjusted about 8 or 9 thousand miles ago
when the new (used) engine was installed. And the engine has
supposedly only about 120k mi. on it now. It is a nice peppy engine
and starts quite easily. Oh, and I replaced all the glow plugs about
2.5k mi. ago. BTW car is 83 240D.

Continue reading on and help me solve this mystery - it may be related
to these other conditions:

The only other problem that I can cite (and may be related?) is that
of a slight miss just after it starts. Every few seconds it misses.
This goes on for the first 10 or 15 seconds, and mostly clears up if I
give it a touch of throttle. And along with the missing is some
unhealthy sounding knocking and pinging. Oh, and every once in a while
when I start it, and these conditions are present, it smokes quite
noticeably. Then the smoke stops after 10 or 20 seconds. If I throttle
it at this time, it just makes more smoke. But this whole smoking
business is the exception not the norm.

Then when I do accelerate before the engine is operating temp., the
knocking and pinging are still there. Lately, even when completely
warm, it can be heard to ping under acceleration once in a while.

I did ask the list about this a while ago, and the options presented
included running some diesel purge, doing the Italian tuneup (I always
get hungry when I see that), and the more troubling option that I may
have bad injectors or cracked prechambers.

I have not yet run diesel purge. But I do think that I get something
approaching Italian on it on a fairly regular basis. That is if I
understand the magnitude of romping required to qualify as a Nunzio. I
understand that it is more about pushing it hard, say, up hills and
when completely warmed up. The heat and load on the engine are more
important than the mere revvs, yes? I do have an aversion to revving
the engine high. Wish the thing came with a tachometer and I knew the
redline. Yes, I know you supposedly cannot overrev a diesel except for
by downshifting.

Brian
83 240D