*Beats head on desk*

Of course... I'll try it again pulling the cable but... That I have 12v
available still pretty much indicates a bad clutch right?

-Curt

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:39:06 -0400
From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Electromagnetic fan clutch
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Curt Raymond wrote:
> Cheez whiz, I can't believe I forgot, its an '85 190D.
>
> Okay barring the fact that I need to flush the cooling system....
>
> When I tested for power I got +12v on BOTH of the wires... Nothing
 between them...
> There is some bodgered wiring in the vicinity of where the wires from
 the clutch come back into the harness over between the powersteering
 pump and the valve cover.
> A mystery brown wire was added in at some point I think to force the
 A/C to come on while the ACC controller was disconnected (plug fell
 off, I found it because I thought the lights were out) this was all pre-me
 by the way.

> I'll dig some more tonight, maybe I'll pull one of the wires and put
 a ground on and see what happens.

If you are measuring the voltage on the pins without disconnecting the
wire from the fan and IF the switch complete the circuit to ground (and

I believe that is the case in the '85 190D), then there WILL be 12V on
both pins except when the switch is closed. Then there will be 12+V on
one pin and less than 1 V on the other.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.