Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
> OK, so my 91 300D has R12 from the factory, my 92 300D has 134 from the
> factory.  The R12 blow ice cold.  The r134 stock system also blow ice
> cold.  The 134 stock system in my 94 E420 also blows ice cold.  Got me
> to thinking, how did the factory get 134 to blow ice cold, but if you
> convert r12 to 134, it doesnt blow as cold.  So I thought the evaporator
> and condensor must be different.  Check the EPC and both are exactly the
> same part number.  Strange.  Only difference is the expansion valve.  I
> have coverted cars before and used the 134 expansion valve and it still
> didnt seem to cool as good as these factory 124's with 134.  Anybody got
> any idea why the factory got 134 to cool great in a 124 but if you
> convert it after the fact it does not?

I expect the part numbers are now the same because the original parts
were replaced by newer parts (in the early/mid '90s) and the old parts
are no longer stocked. Just as you can no longer buy 1 or 1.2 bad
radiator caps but only 1.4 bar caps that are now are supplied for all
cars no matter what they came with originally.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)