Yeah, if you really push one, a swing axle Benz will start to jack in
the rear -- at well over 100 mph.  The low scrub front end (better
after 1962) does give minor bump steer and some understeer, but nothing
like the floating rear axle and zero caster front end on a 55 Chevy, to
say nothing of the lack of an anti-roll bar and a flexible frame to
boot (Benz was unibody after '53).  My 280 SE has very neutral
handling, fading into understeer as fast as I've driven it (not that
fast, it's a bit wobbly from age and deteriorated rear suspension
mounts).  A '55 Chevy plows horribly, until the inside rear tire lifts
and it rolls over.

The Benz rear axle is the prime example of a LOW pivot swing axle
design -- the pivot is below the differential.  Not very exciting
today, but in 1953 it was the cat's meow.

Not much comparison -- those old Detroit Lead Sleds ride nicely (as in
very soft), but handling is, well, scary.  A swing axle (camber
limited, you will note -- oversteer on a VW is due to really bad weight
distribution, not the axle design) IS an independent rear suspension,
compare with a floppy live axle!  No spring wrap, no bunny hop, no
oversteer from the rear axle moving around under the car, and believe
me, you can SEE them move from behind one of those '50's cars.

The 6.3 was grossly overpowered for the chassis -- no way it was a good
match, but it was at the end of the chassis design life, not the
beginning!

Peter