If you want easy, send me your mailing address (off-list) and I will send
you a couple of CDs. Mepis and Ubuntu install as no-brainers. ... And each
has one CD, not 22.

Both will let you keep your Windoze install and let you dual-boot.
Automatically.

D.

On 7/21/07, Hendrik Riessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was going to say something about penguins but this is a family list.
> Anyway I had a gutfull of the Micro$oft stuff ( I seem to spending half my
> time on the computer trying to stop adware/malware/viruses and God knows
> what else from taking over my box), I tried all the scanners and installed
> the you beaut Billy Gates anti virus software (which has a 90 day free
> trial
> and then you cough up cash because of their inability to build a good OS)
> but crap still comes through.
> So basically I have to give the computer a complete reboot to clean
> everything but am sick of having to keep installing a mutitude of programs
> just to keep XP running.
> So I am seriously thinking of challenging myself to learn how to
> install/use
> a linux OS, at the moment I am looking at Debian http://www.debian.org/
> because it is free free, unlike some other UNIX based stuff. However
> Debian
> is a huge download (22 cd's worth) but that is a truckload of programs,
> most
> of which I will probably never even use or know what they are for.
> However I did install openoffice and while it is a bit slower than
> office97,
> it has a pooload more buttons to push and should kick bottom running on an
> open OS.
> Anyone with experience wanna give me some advice.
> And to all the fruit lovers, not even thinking about biting into a Apple
> because I have a recently upgraded intel box with a crappy OS sitting
> right
> next to me and until Jobsy builds a OS to run on that I am not going to
> the
> fruit and veg market.
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Hendrik (I signed just in case Marshall keeps a Penguin or two)

LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/

Make a small loan, Make a big difference - Kiva.org