Hi, Chris.

Joel is a seeing eye dog, or  Guide Dog since he came from Guide Dogs for
the Blind.  I've also heard of many dogs that seem to have a natural ability
to detect low blood sugar in their owners.  Some dogs can tune in to their
owner's needs before the owner even realizes it.  For example, One of my
classmates was feeling tired and woozy, and she wanted to stop and rest for
a minute.  Just then, the dog pulled her to the side of the walkway where
there just happened to be a park bench.

You mentioned that your GSD Anke likes to lie in front of the passengers
seat.  This is how guide dogs are trained to ride in cars although some dogs
like Joel are too uncomfortable to ride in the passenger's footwell.  It
does work for short trips when all of the car' seats are occupied by HUMAN
passengers.

Kevin in Portland, OR
1983 300SD 267Kmi, Ursula