Which version of Ubuntu? The newest one (7.04) seems to do an even better
job of hardware detection than Ubuntu 6.0 did. For instance, 7.04 detected
and set up my sound driver chip where 6.0 did not.

If you don't know the modem specs, download/run Damn Small Linux. It has
EXCELLENT hardware detection. Or, download the distro upon which DSL is
based, Knoppix.

Run either live CD, write down what it detects for hardware (modem), and you
can take that info as Gospel.

D.

On 8/11/07, archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> -----------------------------------
> >> -----------------------------------
> >> Which distribution are you running?  I've played with Ubuntu, Knoppix,
> >> and  Red Hat at different times but keep getting hung up at various
> >> points.  Ubuntu seemed to be more user friendly but I couldn't get it
> >> set up with the  winmodem to access the internet last time.
> > I've been running Fedora Core 4 and am about to go to Fedora Core 7.
> > What kind of winmodem do you have? I presume your only access is dialup.
> > Craig
> I have several brands of Winmodem and I'm not sure which brand is in the
> computer I'm trying Ubuntu in.  All are 56K dialup accessing an ISP.  When
> tried to set up Red Hat a few years ago, it wouldn't recognize my
> Winmodem;
> it said I needed a standard modem which cost about $80 back then.  Since
> then I've heard that quite a few distributions do recognize Windmodems.
>
> Since you are a physicist I'm guessing that Fedora might be a distribution
> that requires more computer savvy than I have.  (grin)
>
> Gerry

LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/

Make a small loan, Make a big difference - Kiva.org