John M McIntosh wrote:
> Well since my 500SEL is busy having a rebuilt transmission installed
> I was forced to cart four people across the rockies up the Coquihalla
> Highway  5 to 8% grade for nearly 3000 feet of altitude in the 92
> wagon.  For reference the OM603 will only do 75 mph flat out up the
> 8% grade, water temp rose from 85C to 100C.  That and another 500
> miles of mountain driving and 250 miles of flat land.
>
> After all this my wife noticed the clatter is *much* louder at idle,
> much more clatter/bearings bouncing/burbling kinda noise.
>
> I wondering if I knocked loose lots of carbon (mind our normal
> driving over the last 40K miles has been highway), and it's causing all
> this racket? Well that or blew a exhaust gasket (don't think so) or
> muffler joint.

On the clatter, check the serpentine belt tensioner shock absorber. It
can make a racket not unlike valve clatter when it fails. Push on the
shock upper and lower bushing with the engine running and if the clatter
is altered or subsides, you've found the problem.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)