From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of dave walton
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:51 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OM603 camshaft installation

Both the removal and tightening sequence of a camshaft on a 603 is
determined by the lobes that have pressure on them at TDC - i.e. open
valves. The crankshaft and camshaft markings must both be at TDC. When
I say sequence, I mean the order in which you start tightening (or
removing) the bolts as pressure is applied to the camshaft from the
valve springs, not just the order in which you torque them down after
they are snug.

-Dave Walton

On 8/12/07, LarryT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Luther,
> One thing about the torque sequence - typically, it's best to start in the
> middle and work towards the outside..   Hmmm... I'm havng trouble finding
> way to dcscribe it...
>
> if the cam cover looks like this - with the #s being bolts --
> 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
> 7 - 8 - 9 - 10-11-12
>
> 1st, snug one of the middles - 3,4,9 or 10.  then the one opposite/other
> side - say you did 3, the next would be 10, then 9, then 4, then
> 8,5,2,11,1,12,7 & 6.
>
> That way, the surface will be kept smooth as any imperfections will be
> pushed to the outer edges with the tightening of each fastener,
>
> It's probably too late for you, but it should be disassembled in a similar
> sequence.
>
> Good luck -
>
> Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
> www.youroil.net for Oil Analysis and Weber Parts
> Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
> PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
> Weber Carb Info http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
> .

7,4,3,2;
> > 2,3,4,7; 7,2,4,3; and 2,3,4,7,7,4,3,2 etc.  I've tried all those
patterns
> > twice; the first time tightening the right bolt first, then the left,
and
> > second time tightening the left bolt, then the right.  Yes, I am
> > tightening all 8 bolts 1 turn before going through the sequence again.
> > I've been working on it nearly 2 hours this morning and cannot get it to
> > hold TDC.  Advice?  TIA all.
> >
> > --
> > Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
> > '87 300SDL (272,xxx mi) head case
> > '85 Ford F250 6.9 diesel (x58,xxx mi)
> > '82 300CD (166 kmi)
> > '82 300D  (74 kmi) getting donor engine-sold
> > '85 300D (280,176) parts car sans engine

> > --
8/8/2007