That all depends if you are doing your doctorate in something you really
love and there is a need for. It's a big mountain to climb and unless
you really love doing IT stuff, you may not make it.
My Uncle did a PhD in toxicology with emphasis on the blue ring octopus.
>From memory he was in his fifties (I think he started it in his
thirties) when he finally presented his paper, however he did it before
they started changing the Unis to make them more profit orientated.