It seems than at Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:22:15 -0400, archer wrote:

> >> -----------------------------------
> >> -----------------------------------
> >> Which distribution are you running?  I've played with Ubuntu, Knoppix,
> >> and  Red Hat at different times but keep getting hung up at various
> >> points.  Ubuntu seemed to be more user friendly but I couldn't get it
> >> set up with the  winmodem to access the internet last time.
> > I've been running Fedora Core 4 and am about to go to Fedora Core 7.
> > What kind of winmodem do you have? I presume your only access is dialup.
> > Craig
> I have several brands of Winmodem and I'm not sure which brand is in the
> computer I'm trying Ubuntu in.  All are 56K dialup accessing an ISP.  When I
> tried to set up Red Hat a few years ago, it wouldn't recognize my Winmodem;
> it said I needed a standard modem which cost about $80 back then.  Since
> then I've heard that quite a few distributions do recognize Windmodems.

Winmodems are dicey. It all depends on the chipset. Some work,
quick and easy. Others require compiling a driver. Some don't
work at all.

Lots more info at:
http://www.linmodems.org/

The modem in my IBM laptop was easy. I have a couple PCI-style
that are the impossible kind. One is the compile-a-driver and I
failed to get it working, so I now use an external serial modem.
A couple buck more money, but with wvdial it's super easy.

If you need a internal PCI type, $43 for a Zoom.
http://www.adamant.com/ItemInfo_563025.asp?GotoID=ITEM&PrdAbr=MDZ56-3025&menu=PARTS

Or an IBM
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_33L4618

from