Good points.  You have to remember to when this car hit the scene, many ppl
enjoyed bragging about how much they would spend for a service. :-)  Todays
climate, we are more likely to complain about it.  :-) 126 was and still is
a great car that mercedes got a LOT of years out of.  I think they wanted a
big push forward with the 140, and the car was not made or designed on the
cheap! The car was very complicated, and the more stuff you have, the more
there is to fail.  Look at  the recent threads on locks and tumblers.  I
don't hear anyone saying, oh the tumblers in 124 or 123 are junk.  They're
older, they fail,  Add 5 times the number of parts, 5 times more parts to
fail.  After test driving a 140, it made the S that followed look like it
was build down to a price, and I'm pretty sure it was.  I also think leasing
now plays a much larger part in the lack of long term maintance some of
these higher end cars receive.  I think there's a mind set as to how many
treat cars when they bring them home new, and they know it won't still be
sitting in their driveway 400,000 miles later.  Drive the crap out of it, it
only has to last 3-4 years.  It shows too when they go to auction after a
few owners.

Ed
300E