At the time the 140 was designed and built, MB spent more money
designing it that any other car in their history.  Was the most advanced
  car of the time.  This told to me by and old german dude way back when
they first came out with them.  The next S was just cheap compared.
Hell, even the later years of 140's were cheaped down.  Didnt have as
many features as the earlier ones

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300D, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic, (2x) 91 300D,