I'm thinking it depends on what sort of auto experience you have.  If you're
used to dealing with Japanese cars, you should be used to dealing with
timing belts.  I've been well versed with them for about 12 years.  You
generally replace timing belts in the 60-100K mile range depending on the
vehicle.  If not, you can usually find good deals on cars with blown engines
from people who didn't bother to replace them.  I've done two in my wife's
Subaru and I'm nearing time for the 4th in my Subee.

Levi