Hmm, assuming the G4 cases open like the B&W G3 cases, there is a latch
on the side, lift it up and the MB carrier and side will open out and
down.  You can then unclip the cover over the CD-RW drive.  This will
reveal a pair of retaining screw, take them out and unplug the cables,
the entire carrier will slide out (may be spring clipped in, check).
You can then remove the screw that hold the drive to the carrier and
swap in a standard IDE DVD drive of your choice.  Panasonic DVD-RWs are
nice, and there are some LGs that handle DVD-RAM (can be used just like
a standard hard drive) -- that's what I have in there.

You can add another IDE drive, although it may be limited to 128 GB by
the IDE drive chips, I'm not sure when this restriction was "lifted" --
remember, it only had a 40GB drive to start with!  there will be a
bracket for it.  Make sure it's jumped as a slave drive.

If you are going to install a new OS (easy once the DVD drive is
installed), you can install it on either drive.  Be prepared for a LONG
wait as it optimizes -- you really want to get the updated version, or
a single step updater (you can download them if you have broadband,
it's very unlikely you can maintain a dialup connection long enough to
get them intact).

You can put at least as many 512 MB memory chips as there are slots --
but check to make sure they work, some Apples that age require 16 chip
DIMMS, and will ignore half of the memory on 8 chip DIMMS.  Match the
one you have and you will be fine.

Don't know about the DVI connection -- is there a standard VGA output
as well?  If not, it's DVI or get another video card that works.

If this is too complicated, he can send it to me and I will "dispose"
of it correctly for him!

Peter