In a message dated 8/19/2007 7:56:50 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I am  going broke buying air filters for my three 300d's.  The  Kalifornia
version air filter at almost 50 bux a pop really hurts.   What I am looking
for are some ways and wisdom to get some more service  life out of the air
filters.

Yes, all the usual stuff has been  looked at and brought up to spec.  The
seals, the hoses and pipes,  everything.  All are tight.  Silica on the oil
analysis is in the  cellar so I know the system is tight.  And I particularly
dislike any  air filter with the K and N name on it.,

I live in Phoenix, drive  mostly on roads and freeways.  Problem is that I
can get hardly 2500  miles out of a air filter.  Usually less, much less
miles.  My  criteria is holding the filter up to bright sunlight.  If I can
not  see daylight through the folds in the filter, then to me it is plugged
and  needs replacing.

I remember years ago seeing some domestic Purolator  filters that had a
washable sock over the main paper air filter.  But  I have never seen such a
set up for a MB.  I am sure that something  can be rigged, but that would
entail a smaller diameter, non standard air  filter for the housing

So, any ideas or help is greatly  appreciated.

Marshall in Phoenix

Marshall,

 I live in Phoenix, drive mostly on paved roads, etc and get about  30,000
miles out of my air filters, sometimes tapping them on the cement if I am  in
there for other reasons, like replacing the rubber housing mounts.  A  dirty
filter is more efficient at removing smaller particles than a clean  filter.

Do your filters turn black, as in excessive blowby, or just look  dirty?  If
black, you may be over filling your crankcase with oil.  I  think most of us
agree that you should never fill oil in to the full mark on the  dipstick,
leave it 1/2 to 1 quart below full.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ