From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Robert Bigham
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 12:10 AM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Anti sieze on aliminum wheels; tightening torque;meaning
of words

"The difference between the word that is correct and the word that
is almost correct is the difference between lightning and lightning
bugs." - attributed to Winston Churchill.

Maybe he merely meant the spherical collar screws were tighter
than he had ever seen or imagined.  I can buy that. They must have
been extremely tight.  I suspect something would break before
250 ft lb tightening torque, but do not know.

Perhaps someone does know the breaking torque for
M12 x 1.5 spherical collar screws holding on steel or alumininum
wheels. If so, you know who you are. Speak up, please.

I promise to not ask how you know.

When discussing technical things and using numbers to
communicate, one should be careful to say as near to exactly
what one means as one can, to avoid confusion.

If one is not sure of a technical fact, it does not mean one is
a bad person or even seriously disabled, but one should
say so.  Words do have meanings.

That is the engineering position.  Do recovering engineers see
it a whole lot differently?  If so, why?  Please elaborate.

Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote