If that's the case, it seems suspicious that he hasn't already replaced it.
He may be trying to use this as a way to mask a more serious problem, such
as no A/C.

I once purchased a 1976 300D that was missing its AC pulley belt.  After
purchasing the car, I had the belt installed but it immediately broke
because the rotary AC compressor was seized!