Problem is, you start elevating the level of living of the other 90%,
they are gonna want cars, computers, air conditioning, microwave ovens,
washing machines, Playstations, Lombards, etc etc, and then global
climate change is going to accelerate because they sure ain't gonna be
using PV arrays on the roofs of their Priuses or buying carbon offsets
from Algore.  (cf. China and India).  So, best to keep them down where
they are, burning cow dung (no net CO2 inputs!) for fuel.  It's best for
their future, you know.

--R