My first vision of carnage was GTO related....
One of my uncle's buds had a'68 GTO and another had a Grabber Green '70 Boss
429. Jack had the Mustang. He used to tape a fifty cent piece to the dash
and tell me, as a 10 year old, if I could grab the fifty cent piece while he
was mashing the foot feed to the floor, I could keep the money....I never
reached it.
Anywho...they decided to race one afternoon.
My grandparents and I happened by about 10 minutes after the race was over.
Mustang Jack plowed into a railroad bridge trestle (car split in two, Jack
dead) and the GTO was on it's top after having rolled probably a dozen
times. The two passengers of GTO were in the ditch contorted in ways human
bodies do not normally bend. One dead, one nearly.
My granddad made me look.
That was quite the learning for me. Maybe that's why I drive a 30 year old
solid safe diesel that can hardly get out of its own way.

Bob R.