Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:57:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] Fix or Sell?
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

The AC manifold hose in my 83 300 DT is leaking.  It was rebuilt once
 before, so my trusted indy recommended a replacement if I want to fix
 it.  The total bill will be in the neighborhood of $800-900, with parts
 from Rusty.
  I don't know if I should proceed this route or cut my emotional tie
 and sell the car.  I've owned this baby for 3 years and have put many
 hours of labor (and a fair amount of money) into it. From stem to stern,
 the new items that I have put in include the following: radiator,
 radiator hoses, oil cooler, thermostat, fuel injectors, manual fuel hand
 pump,  transmission lines to cooler, alternator, brake lines, shocks,
 front crank seal, all door vacuum valves as well as in the trunk and by the
 fuel door, front seat cushions, tires, front windshield, headlights,
 and climate control panel.  When replacing the door vacuum valves, I
 also Dyna-mat all the doors. Put in new speakers front and rear. New CD
 player. And of course, Mobil1 throughout.
  The car runs great and has been very reliable, with 230K.  The only
 thing that does not work is the trip odometer which failed about 2
 months ago.
  The AC manifold hose repair is beyond my capability, so I will really
 need to shell out for this job.  At this point the wife is asking how
 much more money we will need to spend on the car and I really can't
 answer her.  I hate to say to her that this is really the last big-ticket
 item, and then the next day something else comes up.  If I decide to
 sell, how much should I ask for, recongizing that it's worth a lot more
 to me than the potential buyer.
  Any words of wisdom from the list will be appreciated.
  David
  83 300 DT
  230K