In a message dated 9/6/2007 12:49:46 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

When  using this screw right, does it go in all the way?  Should there be  a
defined "divit" inside the box's shaft that allows full  immersion of the set
screw when the box is truly  centered?  I could not feel one any where close
with the  steering wheel being center and level, which I realize may be  an
issuse of the steering wheel being mounted on the spline  off the right
position.  The turn signal release  positions seem to be fine, so I'm not
ready to experiment with  physically re-aligning the steering wheel on its
spline  yet.

Any chance there is some compensation factor in the  programing of modern
electronic  alignment   machines  that  makes  the use of the set screw
unecessary, and to use one would actually throw it off?  All the  machines
seem to note the need for the toe spreader bar, but  they never mention this
set screw.

I'd  appreciate some of your experience and wisdom in this  matter.

I believe that the alignment of the wheels can be perfect, with regard to
camber, castor, and toe in.  Yet, the steering wheel can still be ANYWHERE,  if
it is not properly centered to start with.  Yes, there is a 60 degree  cone
for the centering bolt to register into.  How deep the bolt goes into  the
steering box I cannot tell you as I have never seen a factory bolt.  I  suppose
pointed bolt would lock the steering, even if it missed the designated  hole!

To see if you are close, I would take note of the least amount of angle the
steering wheel is at when the turn signals canceled.  If it was about the
same in each direction, I would consider the steering shaft centered.

Finally, there should be a hashmark on the end of the steering shaft that
would line up with a similar mark on the steering wheel.  You would have to
remove the nut to see the wheel marking.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 267 K miles
98 ML 320, 151 K  miles