Final checks are being done at the moment by my mechanic, but initial
indications are that my transmission may be shot.  It has been giving some
problems for a few months, most notably on my recent trip to VA it quit
shifting into 4th, then wouldn't go into 3rd.  Checked all vacuum connections
but found nothing, then was fine from SC to VA and back to SC then home to Jax.
 Mostly it has just exhibited a slight flare from 2 - 3, getting a bit worse
over the last couple of weeks.  Last night I stopped in to get a bottle of
Techron concentrate and when I tried to leave the parking lot nothing would
engage at all.  Mechanic reattached the linkage this morning, but it still will
not go into gear. Thoughts on this problem; Thoughts on rebuild vs. finding a
used one if this one is gone?
Thanks in advance - BillR
Jacksonville FL
1981 300SD  295k miles