At this point there is a good chance I will go with Rusty for a rebuilt - along
with a new AC compressor.  The used one I put in only lasted a couple of months
before it started making significant noise.  My Indy [also my nephew] has a
place that rebuilds MB transmissions for him [and he does their mechanical
work] and he is going to check their price for me on Monday. Don't think even a
'professional friend discount' will beat Rusty's on the AC, but the
transmission could be cheaper done here.  Monday will be when I find out.
BillR
Jacksonville FL
1981 300SD 295k miles on the car; ? miles on the engine [runs good, but the
supplier promised but never sent info; and probably 0 miles on the transmission
as of next week.